2 Min.

This is how you apply for a tax number (Steuernummer)

Not everyone has to deal with this topic. For some, there is no way around it.

Applying for a Tax Number (Steuernummer)

Freelancers and those self-employed must apply for a tax number (Steuernummer) at their respective tax office. You will have to fill out a questionnaire and then, in a couple of weeks, you are the proud owner of your very own, brand-new tax number (Steuernummer).

In order for your respective tax office to register those that are self-employed, a form must be filled out. The easiest way to do this is to go to your respective tax office and fill out the documentation there. Alternatively, you can request a form per telephone.

Those who run a commercial business do not have to apply for a tax number (Steuernummer). The trade office (Gewerbeamt) automatically sends the tax office the respective tax number.


In order to be able to apply for a tax number (Steuernummer), a form must be filled out. This asks the applicant things like private conditions. Additionally, supporting documentation should be attached that proves your self-employment. Furthermore, information about your expected profit as well as information about planned sales for the next two years needs to be provided. This information is used to determine income taxes (Einkommensteuer) and trade taxes (Gewerbesteuer).


It is extremely important to submit all supporting documentation, ie. copies of contracts etc., in addition to filling out the form to your respective tax office. Sometimes, even a Certificate of Registration (Handelsregisterauszug) is attached as well.

Note: You must sign the questionnaire yourself. Besides, copies of various documentation should be custom-made and filed away. After about 2 to 4 weeks, you will be assigned a tax number (Steuernummer), which is always to be stated in any correspondence with your respective tax office.

Steuernummer - wo Du sie findest.


For those who’ve never received a tax number (Steuernummer), you will receive one when you do your first tax declaration (Steuererklärung). At least, you will have your tax number (Steuernummer) in hand with your first tax declaration. Married couples who filed a joint tax declaration (Zusammenveranlagung) will receive a mutual tax number (gemeinsame Steuernummer).